Any graduate student, post-doc, visiting scholar, faculty, staff, or LBNL researcher is eligible for Academic membership. If the funding is through a UC source, no overhead is charged; if funding is through a non-UC institution, an 9% administrative fee is charged; if funding is through an industry source, the member is treated as an affiliate member. Undergraduates are eligible only under the mentorship of an active member, who must directly supervise and physically accompany the undergraduate while in the lab. Please direct membership eligibility questions to Neal Melton .
How to Become an Academic Member
- Attend the NanoLab Orientation Course , which is offered monthly. Register for the course by sending an e-mail to Admin Staff . Include your name, department, advisor or supervisor, and academic status. You may also call 510-806-8600 or come by the NanoLab office at 520 Sutardja Dai Hall.
- Complete the New Member Form given to you during the orientation class, and bring it in person to the NanoLab office, 520 Sutardja Dai Hall. Provide payment by a COA (Chart Of Accounts) for UC Berkeley, an IUT (Intra University Transfer) for LBL, or purchase-order equivalent from your sponsoring academic institution. Steven Scott processes the purchase orders.
- Pass the NanoLab Orientation on-line safety test. After you submit your completed New Member Form, a computer account will be created within 24 hours. You will then receive e-mail instructions for taking the safety test. The test must be taken at a terminal in 520 Sutardja Dai Hall and is closed-book with fill-in and multiple-choice questions. Study the class handouts and other information on the NanoLab website .
- NanoLab Accss. Once you pass the test, you will be automatically qualified to access the NanoLab. A request to add card key access to the NanoLab will be submitted to the Sutardja Daill Hall Building Manager.
- You must become qualified on each piece of equipment you use. Affiliate and academic lab members support each other by providing other lab members with training and testing in their areas of expertise. To become certified on a piece of lab equipment, you must pass any required written test as well as an oral testing conducted by a superuser of that equipment. NanoLab equipment manuals and procedures are online for study.
Academic Lab Recharge Rates
Effective July 1, 2016
|Lab Use and Equipment Use Fees|
|Lab Access Fee/Month||$91.20|
|General Lab Rate Use/Hour||$45.00|
|General Lab Rate Max||$1,400.00|
|Special Equipment Rate Use/Hour|| Tier 1: $21.00
Tier 2: $44.40
|Special Equipment Rate Max|| Tier 1: $200.00
Tier 2: $1,400.00
Rate over Tier 2 cap: $6.20/hour
| E-beam Nanolithography/Hour
High Performance SEM/Hour
| Tier 3: $63.60
| E-beam Nanolithography Rate Max
High Performance SEM Rate Max
| Tier 3: $1500.00
Rate over Tier 3 cap: $19.60/hour
|130 kV E-beam Nanolithography/Hour|| Tier 4: $101.40
|130 kV E-beam Nanolithography Rate Max||N/A|